Our editors spotlight the best in the West and the latest offerings on C&I's website.
Ah, summer is slowly winding down. That means most of the epic vacations throughout the West are now living in our memories and our camera rolls. Memories fade, but beautiful photos don’t — especially when you submit them to C&I for inclusion in our February/March 2019 photography issue.
That’s right, the entry drive is heating up for submissions to the C&I Photo Contest. This year, we’re inviting your best shots in five categories: Great Outdoors, Cowboy Culture, Native Culture, Farm and Ranch Life, and Equine. There’ll be a $500 prize for the winner in each category. Think you have a shot as inspiring as Laurie Ford’s The Watering Hole (seen above, a contest highlight from the 2018 edition)? Don’t think twice; enter now.
Next up, a look at some of the fresh offerings at the new-and-improved cowboysindians.com:
- The latest Real Estate Roundup focuses on the coolest pools up for grabs (along with the dream houses their waters reflect) in the West. One look at these photos and you’ll be jumping into the nearest body of water with abandon.
- We’ve got several nice music pieces: We talk to Russell Dickerson about his latest album, Yours. Any Judds fans who love a good mother-daughter duo will want to get acquainted with The Belles. And senior writer Joe Leydon has a nice visit with the great country vocalist, John Berry.
- Find out about a series of culinary-experience dinners at Far West Texas’ Gage Hotel, and grab a solid whiskey old fashioned recipe while you’re there.
- If you are stickin’ to the couch this Labor Day weekend, don’t forget about HDNet’s three-night series of modern westerns, including Geronimo: An American Legend, Broken Trail, and the remake of True Grit.
- And if you are out and about after the long weekend, look for the October issue of C&I, hitting newsstands next week. Our cover star? The always delightful Blake Shelton. Here’s a little more about what you’ll find in our pages:
Get ready for the #October issue of C&I hitting newsstands next week. Cover star #BlakeShelton talks about life at home and his love of the #outdoors. We’ve also got our annual Taste of the West section – yum yum – as well as a beautiful #fallfashion layout. Top that off with some #Halloween-friendly Western mysteries, and you’ve got a superb edition. Of course, subscribers already know that because they get it early. Hint hint.
And for this week’s parting shot, I leave you with my favorite Chris Stapleton recording of the last year, a soul-stirring rendition of Elton John’s “I Want Love.” Brilliantly written, perfectly delivered.
Why this, why now? Because Stapleton led this week’s CMA nominations — see the full list of nods here.
Photography: (Photo contest) Laurie Ford, (pool) Courtesy California Outdoor Properties, (steak) courtesy Gage Hotel