In each issue, Cowboys & Indians shares inspiring images shot by masters of photography. Now we’re turning the lens on our talented readers!
Whether you’re headed for rugged terrain or greener pastures this season, don’t forget to pack your camera, because the 2019 C&I Photo Contest is now developing.
What to Enter
You can submit up to five shots (one per contest category) that you deem appropriate for publication in Cowboys & Indians.
Here are the categories:
Great Outdoors: Photographs that capture an expansive vision of the West, including landscapes and natural wonders.
Cowboy Culture: Photographs that capture the men and women who work the ranches and the land.
Native Culture: Photographs that capture traditional or modern aspects of Native American/First Nations life.
Farm and Ranch Life: Shots incorporating trusty farm animals and beloved family pets.
Equine: Photographs of horses.
Winning entries and runners-up will be revealed in the February/March 2019 issue of Cowboys & Indians. One top winner in each category will receive a $500 prize. If an entry is selected as a standalone cover for the issue, it will also receive $500. One runner-up in each category will receive a 3-year subscription to Cowboys & Indians.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Must be 18 years old to enter. Buying will not help you win. Your chances of winning without making a purchase are the same as the chances of someone who purchases something.
You don’t have to buy or pay anything to enter.
2. DEADLINE: All entries must be complete and properly uploaded according to the instructions below on or before October 31, 2018.
3. LIMITATION: All images must have been shot by the entrant on or after January 1, 2017. Submit no more than ONE photographs per each of the category theme (FIVE photographs overall).
4. FORMAT: Images must be submitted electronically in JPEG format, no larger than 10 MB in size. Images must be 300 dpi or greater and at least 3 x 5 inches in size. Images selected for the cover must be at least 10 x 12 inches in size.
5. RIGHTS AND USAGE: By entering the contest and for valuable consideration, including but not limited to credited publication, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, entrants grant Cowboys & Indians the right to publish and use submitted photographs and video, without prior approval or compensation beyond the terms of the contest, in print or electronic form in any future issue or issues of the magazine, for advertising and promotion of the magazine, for exhibition, on the website, and for commercial products, including but not limited to Cowboys & Indians calendars, holiday cards, and media kits.
6. WARRANT OF ORIGINALITY: The entrant warrants that he or she is the sole creator and owner of the image or video and holds the complete and undivided copyright interest, and that publication will not violate any law or infringe upon the proprietary rights of any other institution or individual. The entrant warrants that he or she has the unimpaired right to grant Cowboys & Indians the publication rights described in paragraph 5 above. The entrant further warrants that the image or video has not been previously published and is not pending publication.
7. MODEL RELEASE: For any image or video in which a person is recognizable, you must provide a signed model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, from the subject’s parent or guardian. Click here to download a .pdf of the model release.
8. INDEMNIFICATION: The entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Cowboys & Indians against any claim, demand, lawsuit, or proceeding that might be brought against Cowboys & Indians by reason of any of the following matters regarding the image or video:
a) any violation or infringement of any proprietary right or copyright;
b)any libelous or unlawful matter contained in the image or video;
c) any invasion of the rights of privacy or other personal rights possessed by any person or entity, including illegal trespass by the entrant while obtaining the image or video;
d)the entrant’s breach of any term, covenant, representation, or warranty of this agreement;
e) anything whatsoever that might prejudice the securing to Cowboys & Indians or its assigns of the full benefit of the rights granted herein.
In the event of any legal proceeding relating to the submitted image, the entrant agrees to fully cooperate with Cowboys & Indians and its counsel in the defense thereof.
9. FORUM: This contest is void where prohibited. The entrant agrees that this contest shall be subject to and governed by the laws of Texas and the forum for any dispute shall be in Dallas, Texas, United States of America.
10. EDITING: The entrant agrees that Cowboys & Indians will have the right to edit, crop, and/or digitally retouch any images or video selected for publication.
11. JUDGING: A team of Cowboys & Indians editors and publishers will review the eligible images and videos and select the winners for each category. The top winner and runner-up in each category will be notified on or before January 1, 2019.
12. PRIVACY: Cowboys & Indians shares the information collected from contest entries with Cowboys & Indians advertisers. By entering your home and/or email address on the contest entry form, you consent to receive promotional mail and email from Cowboys & Indians and our advertisers.
13. TAX LIABILITY: Federal, state, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the contest winners.
14. CONTACT INFORMATION: If you wish to receive the winner’s name, have questions about the contest, or do not want to receive future mailings, specify your request and write to: Contest Administrator, Cowboys & Indians, 6688 N. Central Expwy., Suite 650, Dallas, TX 75206.
15. AGREEMENT: These rules and regulations contain the full and complete understanding of entrant and Cowboys & Indians with regard to participation in the 2019 C&I Photo Contest, superseding all prior agreements and understandings, whether oral or written. By submitting any image or video to the C&I Photo Contest, the entrant agrees to all of the terms of the rules and regulations set forth herein.