The remaining 49 states should be asking themselves, “Why does Oklahoma get to have all the fun?”
The Sooner State is the only member of the Union to have an official state meal. The crammed platter of food — approved by the legislature in 1988 — offers a culinary tour of the historical agriculture and people of Oklahoma. And there is no time like the present to dig into the gloriousness that is the state meal. Here are its components and where to find them.
- Chicken Fried Steak — June’s Restaurant, Checotah
- Biscuits with Sausage and Gravy — Jimmy’s Round-Up Café, Oklahoma City
- Corn Bread — Big Sky Bread Company, Oklahoma City
- Corn —Gonzalez Mexican Restaurant, Tishomingo
- Fried Okra — Main Street Barbecue, Durant
- Barbecue Pork — Main Street Barbecue, Durant
- Squash —Sisserou’s Caribbean Restaurant, Tulsa
- Grits — Ozzie’s Diner, Norman
- Strawberries — The Annual Strawberry Festival, Stilwell
- Pecan Pie — Field's Pies, Pauls Valley
From the October 2018 issue.
Photography: Crystal Cartier.
Subscribe to the forthcoming monthly Taste of the West e-newsletter below.